You’ve probably noticed the lack of updates for the past four weeks or so but I assure you I have been far from slacking! :) I will split all the log information across several posts to divide up stages in the process and to make it easier on the eyes.
Onwards to the show, hope you’re ready for it because there have been some massive changes to the project since the last update!
So what have I changed:
- The colour scheme
- The final idea
- The backdrop scroll
- Use of different fonts on the scroll
- Use of motion paths
- Key frame animation
I’ve also ended up doing a lot of experimentation
COLOUR SCHEME & FINAL IDEA
When I got back from Easter I realised that I only had three if not four days left until the final tutorials. At this stage my idea was still uncertain and I was behind on the animation of my frames. I was talking to two of my friends and they agreed that I was quite behind. Last year one of them had completed a project in monochrome, whilst that treatment worked well for his project I figured taking on a monochrome colour scheme wouldn’t be right for my current project.
The scroll that I’d been using as a backdrop throughout my animation severed as inspiration to use sepia tone. Sepia tone would allow me to use colours to fill the animated outlines but only a set of colours from a specific range would be required.
I converted the frames that I’d already coloured using RGB colour into sepia tone.
- Sepia Colour
I also neatened the frames up a lot too. If you saw in the last post, I’d gone back and put more detail into the archway. I’d also experimented with lens blur which I’ll mention later on in the posts.
I had found in experiments that the colour scheme of blue, grey, brown and peach used in my original character design, were quite difficult to use when colouring individual frames. One sequence of my key animation had at least 16+ frames which was a disaster trying to colour and tone. It was too time consuming!
RGB Colour Archer
I moved on to concentrate on the animation of the key frames as my time was really being wasted here.
For the final tutorial I ended up showing the line test for the animation that I had done. It had taken three days and I presented them on a white background to best show off the outlines, that and they were yet to be coloured.
Rough Dragon Outline
The feedback from this tutorial delivered the news that I deserved: I was behind and I needed to catch up quickly. I was given suggestions for dragon references by peers too :)
This made me take a step back and think. “I have little time left, I should just roll with what I have”
Terrible Rough Sketch
The dragon was by far the hardest challenge I would definitely have to go back and revisit these frames.
The final presentation (The Friday after the final tutorial) was looming round the corner and just to ensure that all of the animation was not merely on a white background, I temporarily coloured in some of the outline frames using a set of paper texture brushes that I downloaded from Texturemate.com. Texturemate.com was created by Bill Scott and he’s created a numerous amount of brushes free to use :) Thank you!
This was temporary for the final presentation but I wanted to try it as an experiment too.
Brush Texture on Scroll
This frame was part of what I showed at the final presentation.
The video which I showed at the final presentation:
It was agreed that the white did not suit what I’d already had with the sepia tone at the beginning. I should try to recreate the same effect as the beginning of the animation.
I took the colors from the start of the animation to redo these later frames. Using the sepia tone became far easier because the colours required were all in the same area on the colour chooser. It saved a lot of time as I was able to duplicate the coloured layer, move it up to the new frame and simply re-adjust the colour on the screen to a new position.
Sepia Tones Archer
This was also far better for time and because the colour layer has some transparency to it putting it on top of the scroll background brought out a deeper colour.
Sepia Archer on Scroll
*I will talk about the scroll developement in the next post.
FINAL FINAL IDEA
It was silly to stray away from any base line idea I had but this time I had to stick with the ideas that I had. I’ve struggled so much with maintaining this idea.I am no longer going to have motion paths and I’m going to stick to 2D key frame animation.
The idea is that the game is about a young hunter gather who feels his skills as an archer are wasted on the peasant life. He desires adventure, glory and riches. He declares that he wants to be a warrior but as a result he is laughed at by his peers. In order to prove them wrong he goes on a series of quests to test his skills, courage and desire for vindication against his peers.
The game will be of a fantasy/adventure genre, it has multiple choice options for several role play scenarios set in a medieval era.
The trailer I am producing for it will demonstrate aspects of the game showing possible outcomes which happen within the game, for instance a fight with a dragon closely observed by the dragon keeper.